Roosters and Guinea fowl

Ray 434

Hatching
Mar 9, 2015
I have 20 chickens (Americana) and 10 Guinea fowl. I have raised them as a group since they were day old. All the birds free range during the day. They have a large barn area to roost in so they are not cramped. All was well until a couple of days ago. My rooster started attacking a guinea hen. He would have killed it had I not heard the ruckus and intervened. The rooster behaviour is continuing as he attacked another guinea today. This evening I put the rooster in separate quarters and I am trying to nurse the guineas back. Any ideas as to why the rooster would become so aggressive?

Ray Derksen
Sylvania Saskatchewan

They are approximately 5 months old and still spend the whole day outside. Once the sun starts setting they all return to the barn. It is then that the trouble seems to start. When they are outside the guineas do their own thing and the roosters don't hassle them.

I'm not sure whether I'm the right person to be answering your question, but I'll give it a shot.

I have ducks, guineas and chickens. And while I will keep male ducks and male guineas, I will not tolerate having a rooster. For the most part (and I'm sure there are some very nice roos out there, so people, no need to tell me about how wonderful they are! lol)
they are simply nasty with other birds (and a lot of people).

Now I'm sure folks will be saying male guineas can be quite the handful as well, but as long as you have enough guineas in the flock (the magic number seems to be around a dozen or so) , they will more or less stay within their own little group as they get older and bully the other guinea males.

Is there a reason you have the rooster? Are you hoping to raise your own chicks? That would be the only reason for possibly owning a rooster, in my humble opinion.

Males are extremely aggressive........and I think you might have just found that out. If he continues with this behavior, perhaps you could find him another home. Unfortunately, the bird world isn't always pleasant - as much as I wish it was!

Our hatchery doesn't sex speciality birds such as Americaunas so I have ended up with a surplus of roosters with not enough work to do. From what I gather this is likely why the 2 non dominant roosters have gotten so aggressive. Unfortunately for the good of the flock the roosters will have to go even though they are fine looking specimens.

Back
Top Bottom