Roosters and hens doing it...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aquaman05, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Aquaman05

Aquaman05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    My chickens are about 20 weeks old now and I have 10 hens and 2 Roos . The Roos are starting to figure out how to get on the chickens back and some of the hens are just getting in position. This might be more of a statement than a question. The roos seem to have to do it a hundred times a day. Everyone else seeing this ?
    I feel like knocking him off !
    Will this trigger egg laying ?
    I did start getting eggs today but they are really small.

Thanks for looking

2. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    Yes, they seem to want to do that 100 times a day, lol. Being that you have only 10 hens to 2 roos, the girls will probably start looking a little bald on their backs after awhile. You can buy some hen saddles to help protect them.

Pullet eggs do start out small, but as they get a little older the egg size will increase.
    You might be able to tell that your girls will lay soon by the color of their combs. Before they're ready, their combs will be pink but then suddenly almost as if overnight, they'll turn red and usually not long after you'll start seeing eggs. 20 weeks is about average for pullets to start laying. Some start much earlier, some quite a while later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by