Roosters And Hens Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Grand-hen-ma, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    I have a younger hen who grew up with 2 Roos. The hen with the Roos is smaller than my other girls, who are in another larger pen. The bigger ones beat up the smaller ones and pluck out all their feathers. Will the older hens kill the younger one if I put her in with them? She seems content to be in the same pen with the Roos and neither one try to mate with her. She hasn't yet laid any eggs, I think because she is too young.

I know, if I put her in with the other hens, she will have to get at the end of the pecking line. I know there will be fighting, but she is so much smaller than the others, by 2 months of age. And she is such a beautiful hen! My hubby said I have to get rid of one of the Roos. I can't because they are both becomming very beautiful in coloring and I raised them. They are my extended family and I will not be eating any of them, only their eggs.

I am not experienced enough raising chickens to go the hatching route....yet. I am still a newbie with a great deal to learn from all of you. I appreciate the help and advice.

Colette

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It's always hard trying to integrate a single hen because they ARE on the bottom, and have nobody to at least buddy with when they are picked on and/or shunned. But as the two roosters mature, you can't leave her in there, because she would be seriously overmated. You could try keeping one rooster with her, and adding one of your milder hens to THAT mix. Put the other rooster in with the bigger girls. Or you could try crating the smaller girl in the big girl pen, placing her on the roost after dark, and then back into the crate in the morning...for a week or two to give them a chance to adapt to her. If you do put her in with them, make sure there are more than one feeder and waterer available so she can get to food, and make sure there are plenty of roosts so that she can avoid bullies as best as possible. Good luck!

3. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Thank you so much for your help. I like the crate idea. I know their will be bullying but I don't want anyone hurt. I have just the crate too. No one will be able to peck at her!

Thanks again for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by