1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roosters and hens..same food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by debakadeb, Jun 11, 2008.

1. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    When you have a rooster with hens, do you feed them the same food? I'm curious as I know I have one rooster (at least) but I'm not going to be able to separate them to feed them different foods.

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    The same feed is O K. Some will tell you no, but I have had chickens for for many years and the roos got the same feed as the hens. Tell me how you can keep the roo out of the hen's feed or the hens out of the roo's feed.
    They have had the same food long before we ever started raising them.

3. debakadeb

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Thank you. I had not even thought about it until I saw a post on the forum about giving roos layer food. Mine aren't there yet but I'm certain I have one roo and possibly 2. I only have six chicks so still trying to figure out what I'll do if I have more than one.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:What is the longest that your roosters have lived that were always fed layer feed?

I'm seriously interested, and this is in no way trying to be critical, and I've never had the opportunity to ask anyone who has fed a rooster layer all its life.

5. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:What is the longest that your roosters have lived that were always fed layer feed?

I'm seriously interested, and this is in no way trying to be critical, and I've never had the opportunity to ask anyone who has fed a rooster layer all its life.

good question, ive never had roos but have some unidentified chicks so i might! hopefully not though [​IMG] it is called LAYER FEED..... idk [​IMG]

6. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA

good question, ive never had roos but have some unidentified chicks so i might! hopefully not though [​IMG] it is called LAYER FEED..... idk [​IMG]

I thought you had Sonny, the white leghorn cockeral.

7. debakadeb

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    If I can't feed the rooster the same as the hen, then that means they need to be separated or I have to give the rooster away. I probably will not be able to separate them as my DH has probably spent as much money on the coop as he is willing to spend. I guess I have 3 mos to figure this out. The chicks are 9 weeks old now.

8. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    As an alternative to seperating them you could feed a general purpose feed and feed oyster shell free choice, the roo's won't eat the oyster shell but the hens will.

9. debakadeb

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Thanks! That is what I'll plan on doing then. I was going to get the oyster shell when they got close to the laying stage. They are on "grower" feed right now.

10. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    I have always fed mine a mix of layer pellets and scratch once they start laying and have never had a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by