Roosters and Hens together

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jennic, Aug 21, 2008.

1. jennic

jennic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2008
    indiana
    Can i keep my 2 roosters with my hens and still be able to eat the eggs, without bloody spots?

40 cows, 12 goats,2 roos, 23 hens, 1 dog and 1 lonely husband

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Yes you can.

Make sure that you have enough hens for 2 Roosters or they may get hurt.

Oh and [​IMG]

3. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Yes, you can eat the eggs even if they are fertilized. A fertilized egg will have a tiny bulls eye spot, it doesn't affect taste.

I'm more concerned about your two roosters and the hens. How many hens do you have? To keep everyone happy you would need at least 20 or so hens, 10 hens per rooster, otherwise the roosters will harass the hens and fight with each other to the point of exhaustion and injury. It's rare that 2 roosters will get along without a lot of hens for distraction.

4. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    You can always keep your Roosters in a seperate area and then you wont have fertile eggs and you can still keep your Roos. I have had 2 Roosters live seperately from hens before and it worked out great.

Oh I see that you edited to add what you had great. 23 hens for 2 Roos is fine.

5. jennic

jennic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2008
    indiana
    I have 23 hens, is that enough, sometimes my roos are very mean to some of the hens and 1 is very mean to me and others. Thanks And also i can't seem to download a picture, can you help, please. Thank you so much

40 cows, 12 goats, 2 roos, 23 hens and 1 dog, and 1 lonely husband

6. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
  7. missaglen1980

missaglen1980 New Egg

Nov 3, 2012
    I have a problem. I bought chickens this year I have eight hens and a rooster. When I got home tonight my rooster was on my front porch instead of in the roost with the ladies. I had to physically catch him and when I got near the coup he started going nuts. I kinda had to toss him in and shut the door quick and now he is setting by the door in a hunched position with his head down. He is still breathing but he has never acted like this before and I don't know what is going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by