roosters and hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Deer lane farm, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Deer lane farm

Deer lane farm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    I have 12 hens and two roosters. The roosters just started to chase the girls. Do you think I need more hens? I don't want my girls to start going bald backs. that happened with the last rooster, he was mean so I got rid of him. The 2 roosters are not fighting yet, hopefully it stays that way. I could add a few more but I don't have room for 10 each and that is what I read seems to be the best ratio. Will it help if i separate the roosters from time to time? I don't have a separate pen , but I could probably rig something up.
    thanks all

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I think your idea of keeping one of the fellas separate (and rotating them, if you wish) is a good idea - particularly if they are young (which I am thinking from your post, they are) as their hormones, combined with poor technique can be a bit of a pain for your girls, not to mention the likely fights between them that may ensue. Just interested, but is there a specific reason for having two cockerels?

3. mawzeeschikz

mawzeeschikz New Egg

Feb 5, 2016
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    I have 6 hens about 7 months old and I was just given a young rooster. My hens are all free range now because of the heat and I'm hearing that they can become mean later as they begin to breed? My hens are sweet and love to be petted almost like dogs ... Lol

Should I seperate them now before they begin to breed and only allow them to be with my rooster when I "WANT" to breed them?

4. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Not heard that before. I think that as a rooster establishes himself as flock leader, the hens may be a little more aloof when it comes to humans, but thats about it - being mean - not in my experience.

You could, of course keep your male separate and only put the hens to the him when you want to breed. Only keeping one rooster would allow you to leave him with the girls full time. Maybe select the rooster that you would like to breed from and then get rid of the other one. Thats what i would do, for what its worth.

2 people like this.
  5. mawzeeschikz

mawzeeschikz New Egg

Feb 5, 2016
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    Thanks and please forgive me for posting improperly... I'm Very new to this chicken raising thing ! We got them for the grandsons. I decided that it would be good for the kids to learn a more natural way of life ... Now, They love the chicks so much that they can't wait to gather the eggs & even enjoy their breakfast ... Lol

I'm just so new to all of this and not so sure of the site and posting etc. I did however get my 1st soft shell egg tonight and that through me for a loop??? I'm caulking it up to the past 40+ days of rain ???

6. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    What's there to forgive? You've posted perfectly IMO. If one doesn't know, or unsure - one asks - its that simple. It's a great idea to help educate your grandkids about food chains, and animal welfare etc.

Since your pullets are only 7 months old, I am guessing that they have only been laying for a short while? It can take a while for their egg-laying plumbing to sort itself out, and its perfectly normal for new layers to pop the odd soft shell egg out (sometimes, no shell at all). As long as they are on layer food or general flock food, with optional oyster shell in a separate feeder, then there's nothing to worry about.

7. mawzeeschikz

mawzeeschikz New Egg

Feb 5, 2016
    Cut Off, Louisiana
    You're very right ... They've only been laying about a month or so?? Thank you for the info. Info keep them on laying pelleted as well as some chicken scratch and crushed oyster shells. I get anywhere from 5 to 10 a day in eggs. They' seem to be good laters but it's been raining here in Louisiana DAILY since the end of June. Of course there was the flood but the rain just keeps coming. I figured that all of this rain had begun to get to them as much as it has us .. Lol
    Thank you &
    Stay blessed

8. Deer lane farm

Deer lane farm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    The only reason I have two roosters is because that was just the luck of the draw. I incubated 15 eggs and I was lucky that only 2 are roosters. I could get rid of one but they are both so beautiful and no fighting yet. This may be a dumb question but what is the best way to separate them. I'm splitting the outside run in half and can put one in there but he would not have access to get inside during the day. It is partially covered so he can get out of rain and sun and such.

9. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    I guess in the long run, having a totally separate run and coop would be ideal (could serve as a grow out / quarantine pen in the future also). If he can get out of the wind and rain, then there should not be a real problem IMO. Having said that, it depends on how bad your winters get.

10. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    How old are they? Have they hit puberty? Are they breeding the hens?
    They might always get along or some day they might just decide they don't like each other. Hard to say. Only time will tell.
    If you do decide to separate them, you will need a small coop and run for the extra rooster.

If it were me, I would just go ahead and re-home or put one in the soup pot. In the long run, that would probably work out for the best for you and the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by