Roosters and hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by EstTN, Feb 24, 2013.

1. EstTN

EstTN New Egg

Jan 15, 2012
    Ok, I know that roosters aren't required for eggs for eating which is my goal. However I want to have a couple roosters just to have around, for what ever reason. But will that screw everything up? My coupe will be a 12/12 barn stall converted coop, with an attached 10/24 outside run. Keep in mind I'm starting from scratch and will be getting chicks soon. I would like to raise them all from chicks together at the same time. Thank you for advice.

2. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I like having roosters around. And we didn't have a good rooster experience our first year, aggressive, nasty guys.

This last year, great experience with roosters, love the sound, they are decently good with the hens, and are exceptional around us. They also guard them while they free range, so I am in favor of roosters. It is cool to see a bunch of hen hinies up in the air as they scratch around only to see the roosters ever vigilent as the girls forage.

However, I wouldn't plan on buying a rooster yet if I were you, because you are starting from scratch, right? Are you ordering 1 day olds? For instance, I got 25 one day old pullet easter eggers last year, 3 boys were in the bunch (were supposed to be all pullets, but it is not uncommon to have a boy or two - 3 in my case). Also, I picked up 6 Buff Orp pullets from the feed store also one day old, and 2 were boys. So, you see, I ended up with boys when I didn't intend to, I think it likely that may happen with you if ordering day olds unless you are getting sex link and then much less likely to get boys on accident. Just a suggestion, wait it out, you are likely to end up with a boy in my humble opinion. If you are going to start with started pullets, then much less likely to end up with a boy.

Good luck, hope that answers some questions. Also, remember, the more room you have per bird, the happier and healthier they will be, so don't crowd you space, and you will ALWAYS want more after you get your initial batch, so be patient and don't add too many at once.

3. I have 2 roosters my chickens are happy they lay having a rooster wont screw anything up

4. EstTN

EstTN New Egg

Jan 15, 2012
    How many hens do you have with the two roosters

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by