roosters and hens

natsycole

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 19, 2014
I have two roosters and two hens. They do not seem to be fighting much. A squabble here and there. Is this ok? Where is the best place to look to find someone to take a rooster? I do not need fertile eggs, but live rural. Is keeping at least one a good idea, or should I get rid of both?
Thanks!

I would keep one simply for the protection they offer your flock, especially if you live rurally; but I think the general rule is 1 rooster to 8 hens, or somewhere around there. if you have too many roosters or not enough hens, the boys will pester the girls relentlessly.

I have had very good luck giving away unwanted roosters free on Craigslist. Post in the Farm and Garden section. I don't ask questions about their intentions for the rooster, but in a few instances of a "favorite" rooster that I didn't want to see butchered (especially the pretty little bantam roosters), I would write something to the effect of "not for meat". A photo seems to help entice interest. If they are mean I do not say they are tame.

Of course the general Craigslist cautions apply…..I make sure and talk to the person by phone to see if they sound legit and not creepy, I usually arrange to meet them in the parking lot during daylight hours of somewhere busy like Safeway, Home Depot, etc for my safety. It is also good if you bring the rooster already securely boxed up in cardboard box so you can just hand him over and leave. I have not had any problem with Craigslist people when following these safety precautions.

Back
Top Bottom