Roosters and ILT

Enj

Songster
Jan 15, 2018
So ive had a awful run. My flock is positive for ILT and although it’s been latent for the last year, after the hot weather it’s reared it’s ugly head. I’ve lost one of my young ‘Orpidottes’ to it this week and have several sneezing chooks as well as a very sick looking chick who is only a month old. But not much I can do except treat symptoms.

My other issue is that after have three lots of chicks hatch (I had weekends away four months ago, two months ago and a month ago, so couldn’t pull out newly laid eggs from under my broodies), I have at least four roosters from the 4mo group and no idea yet about the other chicks.

What do I do with roosters who are ILT positive? When they were healthy I was going to give them away with the same age hens, free with full disclosure, to someone without a existing flock. Now I think I only have two hens out of the lot and four roosters, I don’t know how I can rehome them. I’m a softy. I think I will have to cull them, but how... especially since I raised them.

Secondly, one of the roosters is awesome, funky markings, sweet, not my main roosters boy so genetically unrelated. I would love to keep him at least.

Is it possible to have a rooster flock on same property as main flock? Can I let the roosters free range full time and have a natural life? Do I give them to someone who is comfortable to cull them?

Never wanted to hatch this many, my rooster just has too much game.

Collect your eggs daily and you won't have Chicks. I had ILT in my last flock. Stress brings out the symptoms.
Believe me I do try but on those overnights away... I took a chance! Going to try and set up a separate rooster flock and see how they go, but I am guessing I can’t have them out all of the time with the main flock??

Back
Top Bottom