Roosters and non-laying hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TerrorBird, Jan 20, 2014.

1. TerrorBird

TerrorBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    Snohomish
    I've had chickens for about ten years, but I'm not very experienced in terms of roosters. I've only had a few, and I owned them for several months or less before finding them a new home (not for soup). My most recent two, a Serama and a heritage Rhode Island Red, hated my elderly Gold Sexlink and my even-more-elderly mutt. The sexlink is eight and the mutt is nine; they no longer lay. I understand that they feel that those two are taking up resources that could go to the younger layers. My question is, do all roosters have this hang-up? I would love to hatch and raise a rooster or two of my own, but I don't want to do it if they will also constantly harass my old girls to the point where the seniors are stuck in the house all day. Will a rooster mellow after he hits two years and leave the non-layers alone?

Short version: do ALL roosters harbor a hatred of elderly non-laying hens?

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I don't think roosters hate older hens but, they do have a pecking order and the older hens will in time be moved to the bottom. Good Luck.

3. TerrorBird

TerrorBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    Snohomish
    I understand the pecking order and can see how it works with just the girls. When the RIR would see the sexlink out free-ranging, he'd charge at her and chase her right into the chicken coop. He would not even let her come out of the house. The Serama was the same way. I do have some bossy hens, but they're nothing like that. That's why I won't have any more roosters if that will be an issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by