Rooster's and "The Deed"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Me & My Peeps, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    O.k, I have been watching my Rooster "go at it" with his select girls. How long does "the deed" take? Sometime it's like watching a rodeo where she runs around trying to get him off! How do I know if I have fertilized eggs or not? Is it just a few seconds?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    yeah...it doesn't take long...it is all about him

3. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    Quote:Thanks, it's a tough question to ask - and still keep it family friendly! [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

As was stated in a book I read before I even had chickens, the mating act is "short and not sweet". Yes, it takes only a few seconds, as with most birds.

5. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    My roos are done in 4 or 5 seconds. The hens are fine with it and they are relatively gentle.

6. MyBlackHen

MyBlackHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Upstate New York
    LOL - I have missed this website! I've been so busy with other stuff in the past couple of months and I haven't really haven't had time to visit this site ... this morning I posted a question and started poking around to see what's going on, and I came across this thread! BYC is so much fun and I have to make time to visit more often. Good luck getting your fertilized eggs!

[​IMG]

7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Cyn! I love that book! It's how I learned everything (and BYC of course!) I think I'm going to put up an auction for it.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This link should show you what to look for to see if the eggs are fertile. You may have to turn the cracked egg over gently to find the bull's eye. Sometimes it is hiding on the bottom.

Fertile Egg Photos
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008&p=6

The act itself takes almost no time. There are different ways but often the rooster dances, the hen squats, the rooster climbs on and grabs her by the back of the head, she raises her tail, he does the deed, he hops off, she stands up, fluffs up and shakes to get the rooster's deposit in the correct place in her reproductive system, and it is over. If she does the fluffy shake, he probably hit the target.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by