Roosters and their dance.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mmajw, Jun 26, 2008.

1. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    So, this morning when I was in the coop I had a hen escape and I didnt notice until much later when I out near the run and she was free range with my Roo.
    He is always free range but the ladies have an enclosed run.

He seemed to not mind her around and she followed him where ever he went. I got her back into the coop and run and he didnt seem to mind that either.

Later today I decided to let the hen that I have in solitary out of her seperation cage and let her roam. The Rooster then began his Rooster Dance. He started to mount up and pull her feathers from her head.

I guess my question is do you think he did that to the hen that escaped from the coop and I missed it and then she followed him around or do you think that he only wanted the one that has been in seperation?
    Will the head feather pulling stop or do you think that is just his style?

2. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    He probably mounted the other hen too. If he is real young the feather pulling might be due to inexperience. Did he actually pull out the feathers or just hold on? If he just held on thats normal. IDK if he actually pulled feathers. Mine have never really done this.

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    He is 2 but never been with the ladies before.

ETA:
    He has always had his seperate pen and free ranged during the day and went to his own seperate pen at night. He has always been able to see the ladies from his pen and when he is outside he stands guard near their run.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by