Roosters are fighting!

teisenhand

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 8, 2012
Colorado
I have two silkie roosters, and only one hen (she raised the two roosters). Yesterday the roosters started fighting and they wont stop, so I separated them. My question is, it is going to snow tomorrow and I cant keep my rooster where he is right now in the snow, so will the two roosters keep fighting until they kil each other? Or will they stop once has showed its dominance over the other one.

keesmom

Free Ranging
12 Years
Jul 28, 2008
MA
They will continue to fight until one submits. I can't tell you how long that will take. I can tell you that 2 cockerels and one hen will not work at all. You have no other hens?

teisenhand

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 8, 2012
Colorado
They are 6 months old, and I only have 1 hen until my other chicks grow up. If I were to put them back into their pen together would they be OK??

chickengeorgeto

Crowing
7 Years
Dec 25, 2012
Big Bend of the Tennessee River's Right Bank.
At 6 months old your roos just got their first big shot of testosterone. Non game roosters usually need between 5 to 15 hens each before they consider that they have their own walk to rule the roost over.

However, if you put one rooster in a small pen like a dog travel cage and put the another roo in a similar cage but stack it on top of the first roo's cage for a few days, the bottom roo may consider himself defeated and submit to the top rooster. I know it sounds strange but the minds of chickens work in stranger and more mysterious ways.

Top Bottom