roosters are gone and now hens won't lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momoftwinsinwi, Nov 21, 2009.

1. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    I had to be rid of my 6 roosters and now 8 laying hens....no one is laying??? it's been 2 weeks!????

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Nearly half your flock is gone. That has to be freaking them out. Plus it is that time of year they slow down...maybe not such a long time in between. I'm sure they will come around.

3. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    It probably has more to do with the change in daylight and with the absence of the roosters, although the stress of losing them might have an effect as well. Hens need a lot of light in order to produce an egg. Unless you are providing artificial light in the chicken coop, your hens may stop laying until the spring. If you really need the eggs, I suggest putting an artificial light in their cop and making sure they have approximately 16 hours of light a day. There are pros and con's to artificial light, but either way, the lack of light is probably the culprit.

If you could describe your setup, other people might be able to weigh in and give you more specific suggestions.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by