Roosters as meat birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mrstillery09, Apr 5, 2012.

1. mrstillery09

mrstillery09 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I've never raised meat birds, so sorry if this is a completely newbie question!

I was considering raising roosters for meat birds, instead of raising broilers, but I have a few questions.

If raising roosters for meat birds, at what age (on average) would they be ready for processing?

What would be the average weight you would get from roosters?

Because these roosters are older, how much different do they taste from broilers?

Anyone have any comparisons price wise raising roosters verses broilers? I know you can get roosters cheap, but I know you have to feed them longer.

And thoughts or advice is appreciated!

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Plain roosters don't grow as fast as broilers. The older the rooster is the meat won't be good, sometimes chewy, I'd butcher before 1 year, broilers can just take 6-8 weeks to grow and then butcher. (Which is a lot faster) I sold some Dorking cockerels and my friends used them for meat, (they were 8 months) they said it tasted perfect. I hope this helped some.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    The additional feed it will take to feed out non-Cornish cross roosters to butchering size will more than make up for their lower cost. You'll come out on the losing end of a deal like that.

If you're hatching your own birds then feeding out roosters for you own consumption is not a bad idea since you're going to get the males regardless. But ordering them just to raise out for meat will never be economically viable relative to what it costs to buy and raise modern Cornish-cross.

4. mrstillery09

mrstillery09 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Thanks so much for your responses! I had figured that even though they would be cheaper to buy you'd probably lose in the end on what you'd be feeding them. In this case I hope to be getting myself some cornish x sometime soon!

5. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

I know this is an older thread but I have seen some of the other members here intentionally buy roosters (or straight run dp birds for roosters) in order to get used to butchering birds first so when they get the crosses they know what to expect and have practice razing chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by