Roosters at 2 weeks old already fighting.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jetlander, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Jetlander

Jetlander Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Spokane, Washington
    My Silver Laced Wyandotte roosters are already starting to fight. They will be 2 weeks old on Sat. Any suggestions? Had to cull one today as he had a real nasty eye injury.

2. Grant6411

Grant6411 RIP Steven

Dec 1, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    oh they will do that all through there life. dont worry. mine have fought from babys to 4 months and they are fine. just dominance showing. btw [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Are you sure they're roosters? Both sexes spar at that age. Never saw any two week old chicks actually fight, certainly not to the point of injury.

4. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I agree. Mine started at less than two weeks of age and the girls participated some too... and they're almost 5 weeks now and they still do it some, but it's never serious. Nothing even close to injury. I would say it's very normal behavior. They want to establish a pecking order.

5. Jetlander

Feb 16, 2009
    Spokane, Washington
    Definately roosters, the hatchery marked the hens for me with red dye on their heads. As the dye wears off I remark with food coloring. I'm going to seperate the hens so I don't lose any. The 30 roosters are just for meat.

6. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I absolutely can't imagine that baby roos would kill each other or baby hens. What breed are they?

7. Jetlander

Feb 16, 2009
    Spokane, Washington
    They are Silver Laced Wyandottes. Both sexes do a little squabbling, but the roos are definately more aggressive. I expect some pecking order to happen, but to the point of injury surprised me. Hopefully, it was an isolated incident and no more will get wounded.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by