Roosters attack by Americana pullet

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicken George2009, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Chicken George2009

Chicken George2009 New Egg

Dec 13, 2009
    I have a flock of 15 pullets... several different breeds.... However whenever my roosters see this one americana pullet that has a black head, different from the other two americana pullets i have, they attack her, they treat her like she is another rooster. could this be the case,,,, they think she is a rooster.......???

2. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    They probably don't like that she looks different. Don't have any advice on how to fix that, though [​IMG] If the attacks aren't TOO serious, might just want to see if they can sort things out...otherwise you might have to rehome her [​IMG]

3. Chicken George2009

Chicken George2009 New Egg

Dec 13, 2009
    Thanks... she is the only americana i have with a black face, so she is the pullet that doesn't have others that look like her...so you are probably correct:(

4. Brahma Mamma

Brahma Mamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    We got a mixed batch of chicks from Tractor Supply and among them are three birds that look NOTHING like the others (supposed to be sexlinks and RIR) One is black with colored flecks, one is snowy white with colored flecks and one is gold with flecks. Now that they are older they are all developing fuzzy things sticking out of their cheeks. If anyone knows what these are please let me know! Anyway, all the other young birds chase them around still. They are doing good though. They are much bigger than the other chicks too now. We have talked about moving them to the "house" coop when they get big enough, but they seem to be doing okay with no picked spots.

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Quote:Sounds like they are getting muffs/beards. It's normal in a lot of breeds. If you post pictures, someone could possibly tell you what they are. If they have feathered legs, they could be salmon faverolles.

6. barbarachick

barbarachick Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    New Port Richey Florida
    the ones with muffs ands specks may also by D'Uccles--mille fleur color, they and the faverollles also have feathered feet....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by