Roosters attacking children

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LGoodrum, Oct 26, 2008.

1. LGoodrum

LGoodrum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2008
    [​IMG] We got 6 baby chicks (supposed to be all pullets) in the Spring and 3 of them turned out to be roosters. The roosters are NH Reds. They are free range during the day and seemed to be very tame until today when two of them chased my 5 yo daughter and scratched her badly on the back and shoulder (they jumped on her back as she was fleeing in terror.) Now we are thinking we should rehome them as there is no easy way to keep them penned all day and they are starting to grow spurs. Do people actually want NH Red roosters as pets? The only other option I would consider would be humane euthanasia. Another question: do most vets know how to euthanize chickens and is there a particular way of doing this? We're way to squeamish to consider chopping their heads off...

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    You might want to check out my page on roo behavior, the link is in my sig line, it may help.

[​IMG]

3. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Just put an add in craigslist. You shouldn't have too much trouble rehoming them for free or for a minimal charge. But I would get rid of them if you can't pen them and you have children. The two can be a disaster together.

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

A vet is able to put them down for you, however, consider reading Rooster Red's advice on his personal page. In the mean time, keep those two away from your kids!
    Usually, we suggest the stew pot, but since it seems that's not an option for you (I wouldn't be able to do it myself, either) try Craig's List. Someone out there is bound to want a rooster or two for pets or food. If not, there is always the vet.

5. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    You can also post an ad in the buy/sell/trade section here on BYC

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Now that I think about it, maybe you should see if there is someone (like a butcher) in town that will "process" them for you. You take them two roosters, they give you back two birds ready for dinner.

7. LGoodrum

LGoodrum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2008
    Thanks for the info! Considering our ratio of 3 roosters to 3 hens and the children, rehoming is a must. I'll try Craigslist! If that doesn't work, is there a humane method of euthanasia we can pursue?

8. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

you could put an add in the county extention service there are usually 4H'rs sho are looking for roos for projects...

9. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Yes, the method is called intraperitoneal injection.

When intravenous injection is not possible, euthanasia drugs such as pentobarbital can be injected directly into a heart chamber or body cavity.

I was once an Animal control officer, and had to euthanise animals.

10. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I would never euthanize a chicken if I could find someone else willing to eat it. Times are tough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by