Roosters back toe is hindering his walking.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chary, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Chary

Chary New Egg

Apr 25, 2017
    Georgia
    So my rooster is really feisty and won't let me pick him up but his back toe on his right food is about 5 inches long and I think it's hurting him. How do I pick him up without getting killed [​IMG] and can I use dog nail clippers to cut it?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG]Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos?
    When you mention his "back toe" are you referring to his spur?

Since he is feisty, wait until nighttime when he is roosting (make sure it's totally dark). Take him from the roost, swaddle him gently in a towel, not too tight, this will keep him from being able to flap his wings. Then, you can start trimming his spur.

I don't feel that dog clippers are strong enough to clip a spur. There are various methods - using a hacksaw, dremel, hot potato method or using a pair of pliers to gently remove the outer sheath. Which ever method you decide on, be careful not to cut the quick or it will bleed. Have some styptic powder or cornstarch handy before you start any treatment, that way if you do cut too deep, you are prepared.

Here's a link to get you started on your research:
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/home/rooster-spurs-trimming-and-removing

3. Chary

Chary New Egg

Apr 25, 2017
    Georgia
    Yes it's the spur. Couldn't remember what it was called. Thank you.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by