Roosters beak turning grey and flaking off HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ZoeNightshade, Jun 24, 2011.

1. ZoeNightshade

ZoeNightshade New Egg

Oct 15, 2010
    We have a cubalaya rooster whose beak started turning a grayish color a few days ago. Now his beak is flaking/chipping off and he's having trouble picking up his food. What is causing this? Can we help him?

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Need more info.

For starters, what is his diet?

JJ

3. ZoeNightshade

ZoeNightshade New Egg

Oct 15, 2010
    He's being fostered at the moment with a friend in the country (due to his loud crowing), but I believe he's free ranging and eating chicken scratch and scraps. No layer feed.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Nutritional issues may be at play. He should have available at all times game bird maintenance feed and I would also get Avia Charge 2000 (nutritional supplement, can order on line ) and mix a bit with his water daily. A jar of Avia Charge lasts a really long time. Rooster Booster an alternative. Hurry - if he loses his beak he's in big trouble.....I know you know that. If he can be handled without him stressing too much, can administer each day till Avia or Rooster Booster arrives 3 drops Polyvisol liquid childrens vitamins - dribble gently along his beak line with dropper, so he swallows on his own and doesn't choke. The stuff tastes like cruud so follow with a tasty treat like cut up blueberries.

JJ

5. ZoeNightshade

ZoeNightshade New Egg

Oct 15, 2010
    I forgot to say he also gets meal worms and sometimes get into the dog food, but not often. We will try the supplements. I was thinking it may be a fungus...like toenail fungus...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by