Rooster's been busy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Orpstralope, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    So I've been saving up a special pile of eggs to feed back to the hens today and I cooked about 20 for them to eat. I've got 8 girls that are laying right now (out of 20,every day there is another laying getting used to the cold) and one rooster for all 20 hens. 75% of the eggs I cracked this morning were fertilized (from the past 5 days), and my question is: can my roo really be getting that busy? That's six girls. How many hens does a single rooster normally mate with?

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    He will try to mate with all of them. But he does not have to get the same hen every day. even if you take him out for a few days you would still have fertile eggs. A average ratio is 1 rooster : 10 hens. A rooster can fertilize more than 10 hens.

3. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    Ok. so my question is, can you eat eggs that have the bull-eye in the yolk? Also, can you candle them the day of, or a few days after collection to see if they are fertile? Muchas gracias y que tengais un buen noche!

4. edselpdx

edselpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Quote:Why would you NOT be able to eat them? If you don't have a sitting hen they will never develop, and even if you do have a broody, you might not want babes. No problem eating fertilized eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by