Roosters behaving odd with younglings!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by big bouncer, Apr 7, 2017.

1. big bouncer

big bouncer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2016
    So by my name you know I am biased to my Jersey giant rooster: Bouncer. Well for the year we've had him and jester a white leghorn, Jester has remained head rooster. We hatched some younglings from our fav hens and got 16 save a chick chicks from an online incubator clean out. So we had about 30 or so younglings. We have sadly been eating some of the bad younger roosters. Now there are 2 or 3 younger roosters and still our big 2. There are about 20+ adult hens. We wanted 3 big roosters, but 2 of the possible big roosters we're bad to the hens and were eaten a long time ago. I've had hawk problems and lost 3 possibly more to hawks or buzzards. So today I'm doing homework and feeling sick bcuz well i was sick and my mom texts me Jester needs help and a bath. Apparently all day bouncer has been chasing jester and beating him up I guess. Jester's comb was pretty bloodied and pecks on both his yellow cheek sac things. We cleaned him and gave him ointment. We had to separate him to try and heal. I go to get him to put him back in the coop now that Bouncer is roosting and he had 30 or so drops of blood below where Jester was staying! He was not bleeding when I was touching him and not at all when I moved him. I think Bouncer is claiming the younger hens to his flock... What should I do? Is Jester safe at all as in will Bouncer stop now that he is king? Bouncer never comes near you, but he might investigate and come a few feet away but he always escapes me. He actually came over to me when I was holding Jester and tried to attack him! I pushed big bouncer aside and took Jester back inside. Very sad

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    More than one rooster especially if they have been fighting is not a good thing. Pick the one you want to keep, and crate or rehome the other one. One will always challenge the other, and if one does not choose to be the low man, they will fight.

3. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    Oh dear, you have a problem in your hands. Jester has been de-throne and he will never be the same. I had this happen to my top rooster many years ago and I managed to keep my top rooster with the younger roosters after quite a time of separation, but he never again became the top rooster and as a defeated rooster, lived many more years kind of hiding away from the new top roo. As luck will have it, I have about 50 hens and he managed to keep some of them close to him, so he was not along. Last year after much debating, I gave him away even though he was my favorite rooster (also white rooster but Easter Egger) and he went to a farm where he was going to be the only rooster with like 12 hens. So off he went, because I could not pass that opportunity to give him the best chance to be happy he had. In my experience Bouncer will chase him again and again and again to make him go away, at breeding times, at food times and at time to go to sleep. So unless you have a run where you can separate him with a couple of hens, your best bet is to give him away to live in a better place, if you can.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Good advice in the 2 posts above IMO.

5. big bouncer

Nov 17, 2016
    I will keep you updated... Maybe Bouncer will calm down. It is bad to have 2 roosters bcuz one will always try to dominate. That's why we wanted 3, but the others were very bad. [​IMG][/IMG]
    Might be low quality pics.

6. big bouncer

Nov 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  7. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    In your case, I would say you will have to re home one of them, or keep them separated.
    It IS possible to keep more than one rooster, but it is very dependent on the individual roosters themselves.
    The best way is to raise them together from chick to adult (a chick that is raised with the flock with an adult rooster works too), as you did.
    And handle them a lot. It's almost impossible to put two adult roo's together and have it work. Especially with hens in the mix.
    But once the cockerel reaches maturity then you have to watch to see how they do. Some roo's will not tolerate another roo EVER.
    Some will. My last hatch had 4 cockerels and out of those 4, I kept one that got along with my #1 roo. They have been together for 1.5 years, with hens, and they do pecking order spats, but it's mostly chasing, and no blood has ever been drawn. Pretty much the same as what the hens do. I'm always keeping an eye on things in case things change, but they tolerate each other as well as two roo's could. They roost in the same coop, I modified it to have two upper roosts on opposite sides of the house, so they each have a territory inside too. And they have lots of space outside so they can keep comfortably distant when they choose.
    But really the roo's have to do the choosing. I would not keep them together if they fight. Personalities and temperaments matter a great deal with roo's.

8. big bouncer

Nov 17, 2016
    Bouncer chased jester away from the food in the morning. Jester did not have any fresh blood. He went into the forest a bit and called his ladies.

9. big bouncer

Nov 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

He has 10 ladies up by the house. Bouncer has the rest of all the hens except a few younglings with the great roo (youngling rooster)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by