Roosters behaviors

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lilly505, Feb 11, 2017.

1. lilly505

lilly505 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Ok so I let my alpha and better rooster wonder around our front yard with most of his hens . Well there only about 9 months old. The neighbors cockerels are about 6 months old he's a feisty aggressive little too so I'm sitting there observing them as always and noticed my beta roo first initiating a fighting with the little roo well I recorded it on video but it was amazing how my alpha roo immediately intervened and a quarrel started between my alpha and beta rooster against the neighbors little Roo. I thought it was cute that my roosters defended each other . There are not much fighters but those neighbors Roos are extremely aggressive like Roos . Wish I could show you guys the video . What do you think about this behaviors amongst them is it normal for my two Roos to be so close like little brothers they are ?

2. lilly505

Feb 10, 2017
    Albuquerque
    [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, lily505, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! Yes, that behavior is completely normal - they are just roosters sparring for dominance.

4. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Would be great if the neighbor kept his roo on his property.

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Pretty normal.... I can say what I want about my family and friends.... but you had better not or I will defend them! [​IMG]

Also, alpha roos (though yours is just a cockerel) are supposed to keep peace in the flock. It could have been another way for the alpha to show the beta that he is on top still.

I have to agree with drumstick diva... I would be quite upset if the neighbors cockerel came a calling on one of my pure breed ladies! Though I get that I could just not hatch eggs for a couple of weeks, that's only if I caught them in the act. [​IMG]

Yes, I have enjoyed seeing a cockerel spar or two.... until you realize it's serious and they are making each other bleed. Then you realize that they aren't playing and they mean it! And neither are gonna back down.

Also gives you a little insight, like why do guys and gals fight for boyfriends or girlfriend.... All of nature does it! They compete for the affections of the opposite gender. And they are the most unruly during their hormone raging teen days... Just like people. [​IMG] Makes me hate the world less, to see that a lot of what humans are doing comes natural to them and isn't just evil dwelling in their hearts!

Also.... the day will come when your two boys fight it out, unless the beta accepts his place. But that may change if he gains confidence. He is right now just waiting for the opportunity to take down big bro. Chickens are ALWAYS looking to elevate their place in the pecking order and are opportunists as well. Unfortunately crud does roll down hill! I see it in my chickens, dogs, and family. [​IMG] For some groups it's called hierarchy.

Chicken TV is loads of fun as you already know! [​IMG]

7. lilly505

Feb 10, 2017
    Albuquerque
    Well thank you for your insight you seem very knowledgeable in this aspect I appreciate your feed back [​IMG]

8. EggSighted4Life

Well, I am on the learning path just like everybody else here. [​IMG]

How do the boys act around you is the real question? I'll go ahead and pass on a couple of really great posts on how to make roos behave appropriately around you. I do not know anyone who has cockerels or roosters that wouldn't find it a good read...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1149551/aggressive-rooster/10

I believe the post I am directing you to are # 18 & 25.

Have a great day!

9. Venevee

Venevee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2016
    I've had roosters intervene with fights as well and try to stop them. Right now I have two d'Uccle roosters who always hang out together and get along very well. I even had a rooster, named Mars, who was the top roo that would defend us against the really aggressive roosters. Mars would attack them if he saw them attacking us. He would try to keep the peace in the flock and stop the roosters from harassing the hens and people. He passed away last year, but I have his son who looks exactly like him, acts just like him and even crows like him! And now he has a son too!

10. EggSighted4Life

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] I hope you find it as helpful as I have.

Sounds like Mars was good boy! [​IMG] Sorry for your loss of him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by