Roosters breaking each other's legs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2mnypets, Nov 26, 2007.

1. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I received an email stating that she had 3 roo's and one ended up with both legs broken and the second roo had one broken leg and the dominent roo is fine. I've never experienced this happening with my roos. Does this happen often, and am I just lucky or what?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've never heard of that. Interesting. I would think they would submit first.

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Yes, I'm with Silkiechicken, never heard of that before. They can get pretty rough with each other, but not to the point of breaking legs. How could a rooster break another roosters leg?? Very strange.

4. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    did she raise them from babies or buy them? were they fighting cocks or from fighting cock stock? that is the first thing that came to my mind. just as some people breed for show quality, others have bred for aggression. so is it possible she got a strain of these?

5. 2mnypets

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Honestly, I'm not sure pickles. I wrote the thread as it was written to me. I've never encountered this before and never heard of this happening....EVER! I was floored when I read the email. I first thought that that's the weirdest email I've ever read. Have not gotten a response yet from the questions asked. Just thought I'd get some answers from the folks I trust the most.

6. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    oh. you mean like it's a prank? oh. i live in a state with a lot of cockfighting which is why that came to mind.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Maybe a human is the leg breaker?

8. 2mnypets

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I'm not sure. The email is real and the way it sounds, it doesn't sound like the owner is the leg breaker but I can't guarantee that someone else didn't come on her property and do it. My friend and I were just trying to figure out how 2 out of 3 roosters got their leg or legs broke. The lady that emailed me is beside herself with grief.

9. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    in cockfighting, roosters really will break each other's legs. then they will go for the rest. i'm not saying that she was doing that, just wondering if a strain got into the one who was the aggressor. of course, not saying it couldn't be aggressive humans, either.

10. 2mnypets

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I have no idea. Awaiting a response on what breed or breeds the roo's are. I just never heard of such a thing before. I didn't even know that roosters could hurt each other like that. I shudder at the thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by