Roosters by the dozens

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by rek.jr, May 19, 2018.

1. rek.jr

rek.jr Hatching

May 19, 2018
    We live in rural Washington County Oregon and own 4 chickens. On the other hand our next door neighbor has many chicken and dozens of roosters. The roosters are tethered to huts made from 50 gallon hdpe barrels. They are in a fenced area that borders our property directly. Some hens and roosters are in crude coops right on our property line. The roosters crow incessantly day and night. Occassionaly one breaks free and fights another til one or both die. The neighbor claims it's the country, while I say, why not keep them next your house so you can enjoy them more and not so close to mine! I expect a country life to have a rooster crowing in the background but this is getting annoying. Anyone been in a similar situation? Ideas?

2. redranger209

redranger209 Crowing

Apr 17, 2016
    Oakdale, CA
    It sounds like your neighbor is an illegal cockfighter. Normal roosters aren’t tethered down or nearly that aggressive.

3. redranger209

redranger209 Crowing

Apr 17, 2016
    Oakdale, CA
    If you report a suspecion and he is, his birds will get taken away from him.

4. redranger209

redranger209 Crowing

Apr 17, 2016
    Oakdale, CA
    If not reporting for cockfighting, then for animal abuse.

5. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to BYC.....even in rural areas, there are all kinds of regulations. I'd find a way report them too.

Stepnout likes this.
  6. Alibreit

Alibreit Chirping

Mar 7, 2016
    Southwest, Idaho
    Yeah that does not sound right at all. I can not think of a good reason for having roosters tethered. I hope you are able to get those poor birds help.

Stepnout likes this.
  7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Crowing

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Many people tether cock birds. Some of the most human and young chicken friendly breeds will fight another cock on sight when hens are present. I imagine he breeds American or Old English Game.

To have such a breed does not imply cock fighting. The only ordinances you'd have a right to report would be noise. And with that the birds may not start crowing until after stated quiet hours in ordinance (if any). And most out buildings even in country need to be setback from property line. Likely an ordinance on livestock setback or outbuilding setback.

8. moniquem

moniquem Songster

Feb 3, 2013
    washington
    There is a documentary movie on Amazon called Backyard Chickens 101. One of the stories in the movie is about this same issue. Basically your surrounding neighbors and you can get together and send in multiple complaints about the noise level. You can control this, it may just take some work and time on your part. Good Luck!

featherhead007 and Stepnout like this.
  9. Talithahorse

Talithahorse Songster

Mar 5, 2012
    Hartselle, Al
    That's part of living in the country for good or for bad. It can be annoying at times but it is also why I live in the country. No nosy neighbors telling me what I can and can't have on my property. Has he recently moved in or have you recently moved in? You don't have to agree but it is part of the freedom that comes with living in the country. My neighbor cleans chicken houses for a living and sometimes his "wares" are quite strong. Occasionally his dogs get one of my chickens (but my dog has gotten more). He is also the person who helped me get my horse out of a hole, catch my wayward cow, pull the poor gravel truck out of the mud (on my property) and gives me fresh corn from his garden in the summer. So I recommend you get a great pair of earbuds, learn to love the sounds of the roosters or consider finding a new place and carefully checking out the neighbors first. Now if he IS cock fighting, then I would definitely consider having animal services check in on him.

10. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read more

Have you thought about building a fence of some kind to try to block the noise?

featherhead007 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: