Rooster's comb is bleeding

jlj

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Fredericksburg, Va
We went out to do our morning "chicken duties" and found our roo C.C. Bleeding from his comb, He shaking his head so there is blood all over his back.
He wont let either of us near him.
Any suggestions?

Leanne~

Do you have another rooster? If so I bet they got into a fight and you'll need to separate them. You do need to catch that rooster to make sure the comb isn't infected and treat it, though. Or if there's real cold weather in your area, it could be frostbite and the comb is starting to fall off.

Get ahold of him, even if you need to use a big fishing net. Once you get a look at it you can go from there. Clean it up, I like using NFZ Puffer on minor skin wounds like that. Puffer is an ear and eye powder in a bottle for dogs, but works great for eye infections and skin wounds.

Quote:
Yup, agreed. If it appears to be frostbite, you can use vaseline or my favorite is vitamin A&D ointment, the same stuff you use for diaper rash. Rub it into the comb and it will help heal and protect from frostbite.

We have him pinned now, & hubby has got the bleeding almost stopped., Yes it is very cold here.
I am in Va. Cold & windy.
I think you are right, it might be frost bite. There are no other rooster's around him.
Thanks for the Help!

Could be the hens also, My little roo JW had his wattles bleeding and I am pretty sure the girls did it, I used bluekote and he's all healed. Be careful putting him back in with a wound. The others will make mincemeat out of it in no time.

Back
Top Bottom