Rooster's comb is bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jlj, Dec 27, 2010.

1. jlj

jlj Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Fredericksburg, Va
    We went out to do our morning "chicken duties" and found our roo C.C. Bleeding from his comb, He shaking his head so there is blood all over his back.
    He wont let either of us near him.
    Any suggestions?

Leanne~

2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Do you have another rooster? If so I bet they got into a fight and you'll need to separate them. You do need to catch that rooster to make sure the comb isn't infected and treat it, though. Or if there's real cold weather in your area, it could be frostbite and the comb is starting to fall off.

3. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Get ahold of him, even if you need to use a big fishing net. Once you get a look at it you can go from there. Clean it up, I like using NFZ Puffer on minor skin wounds like that. Puffer is an ear and eye powder in a bottle for dogs, but works great for eye infections and skin wounds.

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Baking soda also works to stop bleeding. If it's the tips of his comb that is bleeding I would think that it is frostbite.

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    removed by PepsNick

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  6. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Quote:Yup, agreed. If it appears to be frostbite, you can use vaseline or my favorite is vitamin A&D ointment, the same stuff you use for diaper rash. Rub it into the comb and it will help heal and protect from frostbite.

7. jlj

jlj Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Fredericksburg, Va
    We have him pinned now, & hubby has got the bleeding almost stopped., Yes it is very cold here.
    I am in Va. Cold & windy.
    I think you are right, it might be frost bite. There are no other rooster's around him.
    Thanks for the Help!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Could be the hens also, My little roo JW had his wattles bleeding and I am pretty sure the girls did it, I used bluekote and he's all healed. Be careful putting him back in with a wound. The others will make mincemeat out of it in no time.

9. jlj

jlj Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Fredericksburg, Va
    C.C. is doing much better, no more bleeding. One of the tips is very dark, Would that be frost bite?

10. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Yup. My roo has it too. We are up in BC, Canada. No blood yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by