Roosters Comb is Turning Dark!! Help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckey, May 2, 2016.

1. cluckey

cluckey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    My roosters comb is turning black and scabby looking. It's been cooler here but it's not been cold enough for frostbite. It's the same on both sides of it. He won't let me catch him to get a better look. He seems to be normal in every other aspect. He eats, drinks, does his rooster business.. Anyone have this before?
    [​IMG]

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    It could be a injury or a bruise?

3. cluckey

Sep 17, 2014
    I thought that too but he's not a very aggressive guy, I can't imagine what he would have bonked his head on so hard to cause that.

4. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Perhaps he fought off an attacker?

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It could be fowl pox or a fungus - it's a bit hard to see exactly what is going on.
    If you can't catch him during the day, wait until night when he is roosting then get him. You can take a towel if needed and wrap it over him, birds can't see in the dark.
    For fowl pox you can put iodine on the scabs to help them dry out and heal.
    For a fungus, athlete's foot cream may help.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

6. cluckey

Sep 17, 2014
    I'm not sure about the fowl pox. It just doesnt seem bumpy or blistery. One day he just started looking splotchy but it was a large section of his come, then it started to expand a bit.

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Then I would possibly treat for fungus.
    If you don't want to try an anti-fungal cream, then you can try plain neosporin or vetericyn to see if that helps.
    If you can try to get a close up photo, we may be able to help you identify it.

8. cluckey

Sep 17, 2014
    I will try to get a better picture this evening. He was hen raised and the only time I have ever touched him is when he's sleeping at night in the coop. Thank you!

9. cluckey

Sep 17, 2014
    Here are some updated pictures, it seems to be getting better....I haven't been able to treat it, so these pictures are of it without any human intervention. It's looking more scabby now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Looks like it could be Favus which can be treated with clotrimazole (athlete's foot cream) or miconazole (monistat). It does look like he may have a scab or two from pecking. You will most likely need to apply the cream every other day or so until it clears up. Then you will need to keep a watch the see if it comes back, sometimes it will.
    I've found it easiest when needing to apply ointments/creams to combs, put a little cream on a paper towel (keeps lotion container clean and free of contaminates) then use a qtip to apply the cream.
    The birds don't seem to mind a "swab" going over there comb/head as much as a hand and fingers. Just my experience on that.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/59/favus/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by