Roosters comb turning colors?? Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BrittanyWick3, Dec 28, 2016.

1. BrittanyWick3

BrittanyWick3 Just Hatched

Dec 28, 2016
    [​IMG]

Hello. My Buff Orpington rescue started getting little black spots on his comb a few days ago. At first I thought it was dirt since it had been raining where I live in San Diego. But yesterday the black spots got a little worse and when I woke up to let him out of his coop it was discoloring by the black spots. His diet hasnt changed since we got him over a month ago. Can anyone tell me what this is? He is my favorite boy :( I don't want anything bad to happen to him. Iv only owned chickens for about a year now so if its something I'm doing wrong please inform me.

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Have no worries.....Possibly got pecked by a hen.....He has only been in the flock a month.....He looks fine to me....

Cheers!

3. BrittanyWick3

Dec 28, 2016

He has been kept seperate except for two hens that come see him because he was really aggressive towards most of my hens. Plus he is a lot bigger than my silkie rooster and he was beating the crap out of him. I have them in enclosures next to each other so they can get to know one another safely through a fence. He is super dominate so I know the two hens who go in with him are not pecking him. The black is spreading and is on both side of the comb starting at the bottom. Plus his comb is turning a pale color where the black is.

4. chickens really

5. BrittanyWick3

Dec 28, 2016

There really isnt anywhere that he can or does stick his head through. He use to be kept in a small coop all day with no run area. Could it be a nutrition issue?? He has dropped a little weight in the last week since it got colder by me. I live in the mountains of San Diego so it snows sometimes. It didnt by my house but 15 min from me had snow. I'm just thinking of every possiblitie it could be. He is still eating and drinking and getting it on with the two hens.

6. chickens really

7. BrittanyWick3

Dec 28, 2016

He has a heat lamp so its not frostbite. Thats why I'm so confused. The only reason I posted is because the black is spreading and his comb is truning pale. Ill just keep a closer eye on it. If it gets worse ill post again or take him to our vet. Thank you so much for trying to help!!!!

8. chickens really

9. BrittanyWick3

Dec 28, 2016

During the days here its pretty warm. Its only at night that it gets cold. Like I said I live in San Diego it can only get so cold here lol. Ill try Vaseline just to be safe tho. Can't hurt him even if its not frostbite right??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by