1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Roosters comb turning purple

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AtlantisPeeps, Jul 30, 2014.

1. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Songster

May 19, 2014
    US
    My red sex link roosters comb looks like the tips are turning purple. He's a happy, normal acting rooster. Why would his comb be turning blue/purple?

2. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Songster

May 19, 2014
    US
    Anybody? I'm getting worried :/

3. Mah1Mah1

Mah1Mah1 Chirping

May 25, 2014
    Australia, NSW
    Is it cold at the moment where you live? Might be frostbite [​IMG]

4. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Songster

May 19, 2014
    US
    No, it isn't cold. It's actually quite humid.

5. Mah1Mah1

Mah1Mah1 Chirping

May 25, 2014
    Australia, NSW
    Hmmm I don't know then sorry! [​IMG]

6. CharterChick

CharterChick Songster

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    I have no clue either but I hope someone can help! :(

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is he? Does the comb stay like that all of the time or just at times? Heart or respiratory problems may be the cause, or he could be dehydrated. I have a standard and a banty rooster that occasionally will have darker tips toward the back of their combs. I f he is acting normal, it may not be serious, but if he starts to weaken, then I would get concerned. Make sure that he has not mites, and you may need to check at night with a flashlight for the common chicken mite. Worm him if he hasn't been wormed recently, and Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are good. Vitamins and probiotics every other day in his water will help his immunity to many intestinal diseases.

8. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Songster

May 19, 2014
    US
    Thank you. I'm not sure exactly how old he is but we were told he was a young adult. His comb is usually cherry red so this is the first time I've seen this discoloration. Should I give him electrolytes just in case he is dehydrated? I will check him for mites tomorrow.

9. Mah1Mah1

Mah1Mah1 Chirping

May 25, 2014
    Australia, NSW
    I would give him the electrolytes, it's better to be safe than sorry-especially with chickens. They have a tendency to look fine then go downhill super quickly

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The electrolytes would be helpful if it is dehydration. Make sure there are extra water stations in the shade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by