Roosters comb went from black to yellowish white in about a week

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mybabies, Jan 30, 2013.

1. mybabies

mybabies Just Hatched

Jan 30, 2013
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Hello To Everyone

I have a buff rooster with what used to be a beautiful comb. I noticed last week that it was getting black on the tips and then I looked at it yesterday and it almost looks like a whitish yellowish furry fungus on his comb only. Please if anyone knows what I am talking about or any suggestions please help!!. Thank you!! I will try to post a picture of it tonight or tomorrow. I havent been able to find anything on the net that looks similar enough to know that it was.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. KYKels0

KYKels0 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    elizabethtown, Ky
    If the black was dried blood then the white is probolly where the cut is healing.

3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. mybabies

mybabies Just Hatched

Jan 30, 2013
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Thank you very much. The more I thought about it and was looking at it the more I was leaning toward frost bite. Now that I have seen a good picture of it and on a rooster that was I am thinking it is. Do you have any suggetions about what I can do for him till it all falls off?? Thank you again.

5. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! You can slather it with triple antibiotic with no pain killer or vaseline. That might speed the healing and protect it from further frost bite. Hope he is better soon!

6. mybabies

mybabies Just Hatched

Jan 30, 2013
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Thank you everyone for all the very helpful information. We have come to the conclusion that it is frost bite and are currently taking all actions to keep him happy and safe. Thank you again everyone. [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by