Roosters Comb

ndeck83

Hatching
Oct 18, 2021
Hello all. I have a question about my Rhode Island Reds comb. The top tips of it have turned colors. At first I was thinking maybe the hens are picking on him but it's not going away. Almost looks like the tips are rotting off. I am attaching a picture.

Thank you for any help/suggestions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211018-181027_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211018-181027_Gallery.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 7
I've seen this sort of damage from other birds picking at the comb, damage from feeders or fences (fences for the 'tines of the comb' affected in the picture, feeder for this sort of injury closer to the beak), frostbite or even from insect bites (biting flies, mosquitoes etc.).
If he were my boy, I'd give him a comb massage with some triple antibiotic ointment so I could get a good look at the wound.

:welcome Is there any possibility that it may have been frostbitten?
Thanks for the welcome! That is what it looks kind of like it just hasn't been cold here yet.

Other than his comb he looks great and acts very normal and energetic as usual.

I've seen this sort of damage from other birds picking at the comb, damage from feeders or fences (fences for the 'tines of the comb' affected in the picture, feeder for this sort of injury closer to the beak), frostbite or even from insect bites (biting flies, mosquitoes etc.).
If he were my boy, I'd give him a comb massage with some triple antibiotic ointment so I could get a good look at the wound.
Thanks I am going to go check him out better in a few and put some ointment on it. After looking at some other threads I kinda had a freak out over what it could be haha.

Back
Top Bottom