1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters combs turning a bit purple and wheezing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Doodle777, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Doodle777

Doodle777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2013
    I have 9 chickens and 4 of them are Roosters, 22 weeks old. About a week ago I noticed that the roosters were wheezing and yesterday I noticed that two of the roosters combs had purple on the tips but not all the time. I have done a bunch of research and can't figure out what it is? And ideas / suggestions would be great. There are NO other symptoms such as sneezing, watery eyes, discharge from the nose, etc. All the girls seem happy and healthy and I got my first egg this morning.
    I'm new to chicken keeping and am confused by this. They are my pets, so I really don't want to cull any of them. I am getting more hens in May to even things out.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Just sounds like a respiratory infection. Ask your vets if they can give you some baytril or Tyaln and see if it helps.

3. chickzillamom

chickzillamom New Egg

Mar 1, 2014
    I have a house rooster...that only when he sleeps mouth breathes and also his comb turns a shade of purplish

4. Doodle777

Jun 26, 2013
    They just down sound good / right to me especially when they cock a doodle. I have Tylan 50.

5. Doodle777

Jun 26, 2013
    Any idea why is would just be the roosters?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by