1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters crow at night???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by whittychick, Oct 4, 2013.

1. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Just heard my rooster crowing! He crowed about 3 times, I went out to check on things and everyone is snug in bed! Why is he crowing? Is this normal? Ugggg my neighbors will freakkkk!

2. fallenangel79

fallenangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Ohio
    my roosters do that too :/ I don't know if it is normal.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  3. whittychick

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    This is the 2nd time in 2 months...so it's not out of control or anything but just wondering why he's doing it! Glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem! I haven't heard a peep since I went out there

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Mine will often crow at night if something wakes them up or disturbs them... if I go and close doors, even if I don't turn on any lights, somebody will usually crow.

5. bird-brain

bird-brain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    North GA
    My silkie roo used to crow at 11:00 pm every night. Never knew why. He quit after a while. All three of my mature boys will crow if they hear something moving around near the coop or a loud car etc.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Light source like flashlite will sometimes get them going and once one does many others will. This time of year such crowing is minimal but once days start getting longer again, especially when it is warm, crowing will be more frequent.

7. fallenangel79

fallenangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Ohio
    ok I did not know that thank you :)

8. whittychick

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    I've noticed the difference already from summer till now. He doesn't crow so early and he stops around 4pm everyday. He's never crowed at night tho! So I was shocked! But both times he's done it, I go in and tell him "stop that", I fix the window so it's shut tight and he stops! Lets hope no more crowing tonight!

9. whittychick

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    There must have been an animal or something he was woken up by...didn't know a other noises could set him off tho...thanks for that

10. whittychick

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Well I just got a bunny a few days ago so maybe he was moving around? Not sure. Everything is locked and secure so he better stop that crowing! How many roosters do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by