Rooster's crow is scratchy any ideas???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WFA, Dec 13, 2011.

1. WFA

WFA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    My Serama Rooster Zeus is the happiest little guy runs around and crows non stop. Yesterday he came out and his crow sounded like it was real hoarse almost scratchy. Does this have anything to do with puberty/growing into a man thing or is he sick? He is just as energetic as always but his crow is not the same. Any suggestions or ideas would be great. We are worried and my wife is distraught about this. Zeus was born the first week of August.

2. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    I would think hes just getting the hang of it.

3. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    As long as he's still active, eating, drinking, pooping and doing his rooster-business normally, I wouldn't worry. Pick him up if you can and have a close listen to his breathing. If you don't hear anything unusual, then he's probably still just working out the kinks of his singing voice.

4. WFA

WFA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    He just sounds funny now my brahma rooster just started to crow. It is very deep sounding where Zeus is high pitched. I thought maybe the voice changes as they get older. He is so small so I couldn't imagine it any deeper. Would he try to sound more manly?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by