Rooster's crow is weak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tennesseefarmchick, Nov 16, 2011.

1. tennesseefarmchick

tennesseefarmchick New Egg

Nov 16, 2011
    My 1 1/2 year old Rhode Island Red Rooster crows like he has a sore throat. His crow is weak, like a young rooster learning to crow. Sometimes his breathing is heavy and he makes a gurgle sound--like his lung has been punctured by a steel spur. He is the only rooster on the farm and has not been in a fight. He is very active in chasing the hens every morning. What could be wrong? and What do I need to do?

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Welcome to BYC from the soggy side of Washington State. It could be gape worm. You need to treat him with Wazine, or even better Eprinex. The Wazine should be followed in 2 weeks with Ivermectin. I would treat the whole flock. When treating with Ivermectin don't eat the eggs.

3. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    if you notice any snot coming out of his beak or his eyes starts to turn red, get inflammed and has a clear tear like liquid in it, it is an upper respiratory infection our vet told us to give them dyemethox a very small amount will work

4. tennesseefarmchick

Nov 16, 2011
    Thanks for the info. The rooster does not have any discharge. I noticed a few of the 5 month old roosters and hens sounding the same way. Should I worm the whole flock for gape worm? I also have a flock of guineas and 3 turkeys.

5. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Gapeworm is VERY rare... and it is best to TEST for Gapeworm before assuming it is Gapeworm.

Take a human, regular Q-tip... have someone help you.. catch and hold the rooster.. someone can pull up on his comb and the other pull down on his wattles.. he will open his mouth (do the pulling gently and evenly).... stretch his head up a bit to lengthen his neck a bit... open his mouth.. reach as far down into his throat as you can...

Now, BE SURE to hold onto that Q-tip well.. do not drop it, do not let it slip out of your finger's grip... also....watch out for his airway... reach behind and to the side... past the airway (right behind the tongue is his windpipe, you will see it... it is to be avoided with food, water, medicine, and the Q-tip).

Swab his throat are far down as you can (this will not actually be that far.. just a couple inches)... swab around.. pull the Q-tip out... if you see worms, he has Gapeworm, if you don't see worms, he does not have Gapeworm.

But, he could have some other type of worms... have you wormed him? Wormed the flock? How old are they all? When did you worm, what did you worm with? How many times, on what schedule did you or do you worm?

Search on BYC for posts regarding "Worming with Valbazen".... by dawg53... those will be the most helpful and accurate, good info and dosage information as well.

Valbazen is safe for first time worming and kills ALL types of worms, dose must be repeated -- ten days after first... withholding not eating eggs or chickens, until the 15th day afer the second (2nd) dosing. Now, if they have tapeworm or gapeworm it will take more doses to get rid of them... and it follows the same pattern, repeat every ten days for a few -- 3, 4, etc... doses.. withholding eggs and meat until 15th day after last dose.
    1/2 cc/ml per Standard chicken, given orally to each chicken one at a time... avoiding that windpipe... 1/4 cc/ml per bantam or small chicken...

Also check the chickens for parasites, mites.. Valbazen will not kill mites and Sevin Dust on chickens mite prone areas as well as a bit in a clean coop, nesting boxes, roost, floor, etc... repeat in ten days if they also have mites or lice. (under the wings, in the armpits, around the vent, above the tail where the back meets the tail).

Good luck.

Good luck.

6. tennesseefarmchick

Nov 16, 2011
    The last time I wormed all the flocks was with Wazine the first of September. My rooster is 1 and 1/2 years old and my hens are 1 year old. My baby chicks are 4 months, guineas 8 months and 2 turkeys are a year, the baby is 3 months

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by