Roosters crow sounds different today.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stacey333, Jul 6, 2011.

1. stacey333

stacey333 New Egg

Jul 6, 2011
    Our rooster "Chuck" sounds different today than yesterday. Almost like a human with a cold. Does anyone have any ideas on why? He's been on a calling spree since 4:30am when the sun comes up. Any help would be super.

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    If he's still young and just started crowing then it'll get better while he grows up.

3. stacey333

stacey333 New Egg

Jul 6, 2011
    Thanks for the input. Chuck is actually a year young and has always crowed since we got him. His crow has always been sharp and clear and also long. Could having 9 hens in the coup be stressing him out? To many babes to keep up with if you know what I mean! We have had 80-90 degree temps. in Oregon. Could the heat be a factor? The coupe does have shade in the hot part of the afternoon. The coupe and coupe yard is very grassy and clean so could it be environmental? We just love our gentle lady's man so we want to do all we can for all of our pet's.

4. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    What breed is Chuck? It could also be the breed making it raspy. Like silkies have very raspy crows. And I have 2 roosters for 20 hens so it's probably not "to many babes".

5. stacey333

stacey333 New Egg

Jul 6, 2011
    I believe chuck is a rhode Island red.

6. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    I think you have nothing to really worry about.

7. stacey333

stacey333 New Egg

Jul 6, 2011
    I think you're right but anything that happens with any of our pets worries me. I don't like to see animals suffer. We have 9 hens,1 rooster,2 pekin ducks,2 goats, 2 cats, 3 dogs, 1 corn snake, 2 mice,1 parakeet and god knows how many goldfish and the ever asending crows that feed from the duck and chicken area. Just wondering if our little boy needs help. I went to the coop and he looks wonderful as usual and friendly as ever. Will post again if any changes. God bless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by