Roosters Crow When Dad is Around?

MageofMist

Crowing
5 Years
Dec 9, 2016
Britain
I have noticed something rather odd about my roosters, they don't crow when I work around them such as cleaning and are quiet, but when my dad is in the room, all of the sudden they will start crowing and won't stop until a few minutes after he leaves the room or if I hold them for a while to calm them down. :confused:

I am unsure if it is because my dad is a male or that he doesn't really have an established part of the pecking order unlike me, or a mix of both. It does bother my dad quite a bit though and would like to hear of other potential explanations and possible ways to solve this.

As stated above, they are mostly quiet when I am in the room other than regular little clucks and such, and the occasional squeaky-toy sounds when they see a bird fly past the window, but no crowing. Both me and my dad give them treats, though my dad is much less involved in their handling and care compared to me and spends less time with them... Could it be them being exited to see him?

Roosters seem to crow more when other roosters they see as competition are around. It also can work as a call to gather the flock. Perhaps they see your dad as a potential rival, or he makes them nervous.
X3! Have your Dad share treats with "The Boys," even if it's just a single piece of cereal (mine like Cheerios!), every time he goes in. After a bit, they'll see him as a treat-dispenser, and he's more likely to get expectant clucking (punctuated by a couple of crows) than an all-out chorus. My grown son did that, which is how we figured out they love Cheerios. Now most of my fellas (we have six in a bachelors' pen) start clucking and crooning when he shows up!

Back
Top Bottom