1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters Crowing All Night?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by xxSonja, Sep 23, 2010.

1. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    I have 3 x 6month olds, and 1 x 8month old Roosters and they tend to crow almost every 15mins to half hour every night.
    I love my Roo's and i actually enjoy hearing them crow, but if they crow all night doesnt that mean theyre not getting enough sleep? If they are awake all night crowing wont they run themselves down and wear themselves out??
    And why do they feel the need to do it?
    My older 12month old roo doesnt do it with them.
    I wouldve thought they'd have got it under control by now, crow at dawn, and during the day, sleep at night unless disturbed, but doesnt seem to be happening...
    They arnt crowing as a warning, there havent been any predators around. There are no lights on during the night to disturb them, only the moonlight but even that doesnt get very bright.
    Should i block the light out of the coop completly, maybe hang some hessian or heavy cloth over the door and windows?
    I read that if you lock them up where they cant stretch their necks out they wont crow, but i dont want to do that to them.
    Are there any other suggestions or input you guys might have?

2. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Hi. I started hearing our roosters through the night when there was a full moon and there was more than normal light. I think you are right about the moon.

3. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Light, mine will crow if any of the outside lights come on or even if we turn on the bathroom light at night and they can see it.

4. roosters4sale

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    They also used to say , if a rooster crows at night theres rain coming.

5. xxSonja

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    Well i dont think its the rain thing or we wouldve had atleast a couple months worth by now lol
    It could be the moonlight, but i really didnt think it was bright enough, we have Really dark nights, no street lights or close houses or roads.
    And if it is the moonlight, why doesnt my older roo do it too?

6. roosters4sale

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    He's tired and just can't keep up with the younger ones.

7. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    My 5mth old EE roo crows when I get home from work (1am) until I go out and do a head count. He will stop then usually through the night (my parents are my neighbors, so believe me, they would let me know [​IMG] ). Last night after chores I ended up having to leave to come back to work for a few minutes - sure enough Big Poppy wound up with the crowing again. He kept going and going until I shined a light in the coop to let him know it was me.

All of that to say - my vote is that something is making them "alert" - not necessarily a predator in our eyes ... a moth, a mouse, or something rattling in the wind?

8. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    My 4 month old roo is usually quiet at night, but the other night the neighbors back light was on. Apparently it kept him up all night because he was crowing like it was still day time. I would say there was light somewhere. Perhaps have something you can use as a curtain (of sorts) to help shield out the light so they can sleep better at night. It may help.

9. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Quote:[​IMG]

I will agree with what was already said, about light triggering a crow-a-thon.

If any of our roosters see a light go on in the house it sets off a chain reaction amongst them. Fortunately, they quiet back down in about 15-30 minutes of our turning the light off.

10. xxSonja

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:[​IMG] that actually sounds about right since hes a big lazy bugger lol
    the light thing puzzels me still, but it looks like ill be making coop curtains just to make sure...
    Ill let ya's know if it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by