Roosters Crowing-Need Advice

drom

Songster
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
California
Hi,
I have 3 cockerels-4 months old and they are crowing quite a bit. I've even heard them at 3:30am but usually they start around 5:00am. They go on and off all morning long and sometimes they crow in the middle of the day as well.

I don't mind the crowing at all. This is why I moved to the country. I love my roosters. My property is zoned Residential/Agricultural and if I read the code correctly, I can have up to 100 fowl without a permit and I only have 9. So I'm not breaking any county ordinances. But the properties here are 2.5 acres so my neighbors are close enough to hear my roosters pretty well I'm sure, and it concerns me because I don't want to be a nuisance to anyone. I also want to make sure that this much crowing is normal behavior and doesn't indicate a problem.

When roosters crow a lot does that indicate anything in particular? Do they crow more when they are young? Does it typically indicate that they are happy and satisfied or the opposite? I have all 3 boys together with my hens and they are all from the same clutch and grew up together, so everyone seems to get along. Just wondering if anyone out there has some advice.

Thanks!

your's are mos likely just so proud of their crow that they crow just because they can. They should settle down soon,but who knows?

I think they will settle down a bit too. I do think your ratio is a bit high. 3 roos to 6 hens. I bet there will be fights. Not to mention the workout the poor hens will get. I would keep the ration 1 roo to 6 hens.

I've been having trouble with mine too. I'm pretty sure I know what's going on. We have 3 1/2 acres mostly wooded. The other houses are obscured by leaves most of the year, but not right now. I know my neighborhood watch group has been riding the cops about doing a drive through every night and I think that's what has them riled up. They see those lights through the trees and figure it's on.
I have too many cockerels too and it really doesn't help. The older boys will stay quiet, by and large, until they here the little guys going at it. We're about to have a processing day, and hopefully we'll all sleep easier afterward.

I have 2 roos that crow all day and all night! Next time you see your neighbor out, just ask them how they feel about the crowing and see if it bothers them. I mean..if it does there really isn't much they can do about it. I have no9access to the neighbors on the one side of me, but the ones on the other side were on me like no body's business wondering when they were going to get to wake up in the morning and here my roosters crowing!! They love it and say it makes them feel like they are on the farm!

The right thing to do would be to at least ask them how they feel and make sure it isn't bothering them...you may be pleasantly surprised!
wink.png

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am hoping they will grow out of this some and I know, that I won't be able to keep them all together forever because the Roos will mature
hit.gif

Strangely enough, the neighbors dog was wondering around in my yard today,
rant.gif

and the birds were safe because they were in their coop, but I noticed they were completely mute for the rest of the day. Not a peep out of them.

Last edited:
Both of the Easter Egger chicks I raised this summer turned out to be cockerals. One was quite loud and persistent in his crowing, while the other only crowed a few times. I live in the city, and even though my neighbors didn't complain, I noticed the crowing as being too frequent.

So, I re-homed one cockeral with another BYC'er who was very happy to get him!

The other cockeral is much less noisy and only crows in the AM now. I can put up with that for a bit, and if I decide I don't like it...well...I have friends with "processing" experience!

Back
Top Bottom