Roosters crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gardenlady81, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Gardenlady81

Gardenlady81 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2014
    Hi chicken lovers.

I'm new to roosters and thought I had the best rooster ever.....until this past weekend. He was born around March of this year and started crowing in the summer, which was hilarious at first. He would crow around 10:00 no earlier, which was fine by me. Now he's crowing at 5:00-5:30 every morning. We usually open their door about 6:30-7:00. I told him when I fed them scraps that day, to not crow until he's let out. lol He seemed to listen for one day, but now he's back to 5:00 again. Like I said, I'm not familiar enough about roosters, what could all of sudden be causing him to crow so early. And is there anything I can do about it? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. (But I'm sure I'm going to have to get used to it)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Any changes in the family or neighborhood routine? Lights turning on, car doors slamming, dogs being let out - anything that might possibly be inspiring him? Or maybe it's just that his testosterone level has peaked and he is thinking about romancing the 'girls' when they leave the roost.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Hormones. Roosters will crow any time of day. If he can hear another rooster, he will likely crow back to it.

4. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    This sounds familiar. My cockerel (hatched in April), starts repeatedly crowing at least 1 hour before sunrise. He must be picking up on the faint increase in light that happens before the sun comes up. Yes, it's pretty annoying!

I've heard that early morning crowing can be reduced by blackening the windows, but that doesn't really help as the windows are needed for light and ventilation. I've also heard of people putting the rooster in a windowless coop to reduce crowing. There's also a "no crow" collar, but I have no idea how well it works.

Best of luck to you. I think we're both going to have to put up with it if we want to keep our roosters.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's what they cockadoodleDOOOO!!

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Yep, and they will do it any time of day!

7. Gardenlady81

Gardenlady81 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2014
    Thanks. I agree. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by