roosters crowing

mychickens

Songster
10 Years
Sep 8, 2009
Eastern Shore, MD
I have 6 hens? That is they are supposed to be hens. I think at least one of them is a rooster but it isn't crowing yet. This is a Rhode Island Red, at what age should I expect him to start to crow? He is now about 16 weeks old. Also are there any other tell tale signs that he/ she may be a rooster?

Pics would help! My rooster started crowing at 7 weeks but others on here have said that theirs didn't crow until much later. Look for red or larger comb, pointed hackle feathers to name a few. And
welcome-byc.gif

I'm fairly new to chickens and hatched out some RIR chicks this spring; my RIR cockerels are 19 weeks old and they haven't started crowing yet! My cockerels have red combs and my pullets' combs are pale yellow (I think just before they start laying their combs turn red).

Thanks, I will take some pictures. It wouldn't matter if this were a rooster except that I live in town and I am afraid a rooster may draw attention to the fact that I have chickens. This possible roosters name is hotwing and he has become one of my favorite, I hope he isn't a rooster.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom