roosters crowing....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kareninthesun, Nov 2, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    ok, coffee is kicking in and I'm up before the roosters. Why do roosters crow? Is it to give the all clear sign to the flock? To scare away preditors? Get the ladies to look in his direction? I'm talking about early morning crowing. Mine climbs to the highest point in the coop, does a look around before crowing. I'm thinking he's the lead sentry on duty. What is your thoughts?

2. flspnr

flspnr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    Quote:Yes.

From my very very limited experience, it seems to be all of the above. "Hey you, look at me! I'm here, you're safe, let's go out and play!"

For my Roo, he only crowed first thing in the morning for me to let him get out of his box and back in with the ladies, and when the waterer got knocked over. That's it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I think they crow in general to claim ownership over their territory. It is like they greet the day by reasserting their dominance. I also notice that my rooster makes sure to do the dominance dance around my hens as they come out of the coop into the run in the morning.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    scratch'n'peck :

I think they crow in general to claim ownership over their territory. It is like they greet the day by reasserting their dominance. I also notice that my rooster makes sure to do the dominance dance around my hens as they come out of the coop into the run in the morning.

Is that what that is? I thought he just woke up horny!

My guy crows BEFORE the sun even thinks about coming up. I think he is ready to start his day so he's shouting at the sun to get with it, already.​

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  5. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I always check on my chickens on my lunch break since I work so close to home. Today, I got out of my car (about 75 yards from the coop) and mine must have known I had a bag of apple peelings from thier grandma. they were going crazy before I even got close to them. the boys who crow were crowing, the one who half crows was erpa doodling and the girls were all bawwwking! I think it's because they love me [​IMG] but I could be wrong [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by