1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roosters Crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mjdtexan, Oct 22, 2008.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I live in a community that is very close to Houston. I can almost throw a rock at the city limit sign (ifin I could throw a rock two miles). Our neighbor hood is one way in and one way out. We live in a large circle with the smallest "lots" being 5 acres. I was out there with the sunrise this morning and got to listening. I knew the neighbors (neither speak english) on either side of my have roosters and I normally hear them. What I didnt realize was that on the backside of the circle there must be 30 or so roosters back there. Those guys were crowing up a storm. I have never heard that many roosters at once.

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Wow, 30 !!!!! That would be ALOT !!!!! Must be for eating huh ??? Did you go over and see them or just hear them ?? Hope you dont mind roosters, Lucky you !!!! LOL !!!!

3. maymay8

maymay8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Could be fighting game, too. Maybe a little rescue home. Good luck with the noise. To help with our rooster's early morning crowing, I've gotten some ear plugs. Really helped! Otherwise, just enjoy the best you can. The best and most beautiful alarm clock.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Didnt think of that..... Hope they arent for fighting !!!!!

5. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    You know it is funny how we miss things when we do not have interest in them. I have always taken my dog out first thing in the morning before sun up. I have sat for 4 years now on our front porch and waited for her. I remember crows, but never really paid much mind. Well, since I have chickens I sit and listen. Being out in the country not many places are close. However, I have counted up to 10 different roos crowing in the morning hours. And that doesn't include my three. Now I find myself listening to count as many as I can hear. And I thought for sure that mine would drive me nuts. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by