Roosters? Do they all have Spurs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tfpets, Sep 5, 2008.

1. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

This may be a stupid question, and I've had chickens for years, but I'm wondering if ALL roosters have spurs, or do some roosters ever skip developing spurs? Are there any breeds that are spurless?
    Also, do some spurs just grow as nubs? Or if an adult rooster has nubs, does that mean someone has already removed the spur - and will it grow back?
    Thanks, Tina

2. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    from what I understand, all roos have spurs. They can grow back once removed. They start to grow later in their first year of life and may appear as nubs (if you look and hens or roosters there is always a small little nub...in roos that will develop). I have seen some that were 3-4 inches long. You can file them down if they become a problem.

3. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

Thanks. I was talking with DH about it, and he swears we've had a couple of silkies that dont have spurs, I think they did, we just didnt notice them amongst all the toes and fluff! That was 12 years ago too, so we probably just dont remember right, and the original Snowball was a great sweetheart, unlike the new Snowball, who would be soup if I did such things. I would like to see if spurs could be used as a form of rooster identification. I cant tell a boy from a girl very good? Im learning about hackle feathers though!

Tina

4. Ohylime

Ohylime Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    Hacienda Hts, CA
    My Coop
    I was thinking of this question and I guess its an old thread. But my rooster hasnt really developed them yet... and my neighbor said shes had couple of roosters who never got spurs. ill let you know if my rooster ends up with spurs in 2 more months he will be 8 months
    [​IMG]

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Occasionally a cock bird will not develop spurs. In some breeds absence of spurs is a show disqualification. To the best of my knowledge there are no spurless breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by