Roosters eat what?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gabe4223, Jun 24, 2011.

1. gabe4223

gabe4223 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Montgomery County,Texas
    Can a rooster eat layer rations? Or do i have to buy it a special feed ? If i do, then anyone have suggestions on how to keep the feed separate so that hens a nd roosters don eat each others feed?

2. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    [​IMG] Your rooster will be fine on layer rations. I have never had a problem.

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    All of my roosters are fed exactly the same as the rest of the flock and I haven't experienced any problems.

4. R.M. Hens

R.M. Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Pearl River, LA
    I am pretty sure a roo should not eat layer feed. I just switched to Flock Raiser. I have a mixed flock of 1 roo, 7 laying lens, 4 hens about to start laying, 10 a little over 10 week old pullets (hopefully all pullets) , and 5 Royal Palm 10 week old poults. The poults are on game starter but as soon as they finish the bag they will get Flock Raiser too. I also have a small feeder with oyster shell available all the time. I was feeding laying pellets and very little scratch to my hens and roo, but felt that my roo wasn't getting enough food and eating layer pellets and my pullets were eventually gonna have to be switched from the starter. So to not have to buy different bags of food for each age. I decided that switching everyone to Flock Raiser was the best way to go. I hope my flock agrees.

5. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Who is it that makes the Flock Raiser?? Is it Purina?? I hope not. I HATE buying anything from our Purina dealer.

Anyway, our roosters have always gotten what the hens get. Layer pellets and a cup or so of scratch. I'd never heard of scratch being too "hot" to feed in the summer and they have never had any problems and we are in SE Ga with 100+ temps with outrageous humidity. From the research I've done, it is a myth that corn is a "hot" feed (this is prevalent in the horse world also.)

6. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    One of my roos eat laying pellets but my game cock eats special game feed. Everyone I know feeds there roos laying pellets too.

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I fed my whole flock layer rations for years and never experienced a single problem with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by