Roosters eating Layena?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenfever, Nov 5, 2008.

1. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    I tried to search for the answer, but couldn't find anything. My question is: when I switch from chick starter is it Ok for the roosters to eat the layena?

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I've never had a problem with my roosters eating layena.

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Me either.... The roosters eat whatever the females are eating. They are all on Game Bird Chow now, but I have fed everyone Layena at one time or another without any problems.

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    My roos have always done fine on layer feed.

5. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Thank you for the replies. I'm glad to hear this because Layena is cheaper and I'm looking forward to being able to switch over soon.

6. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    Quote:I've wondered about feeding the Game Bird Chow for the extra protein. Do you provide oyster shell or does it have enough calcium, already?

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I have been wondering about this also... was planning on game feed and oyster shell free choice.... but, I dunno. I know the roos don't need the calcium that is in the layer feeds.... but many of you also say they do just fine. I'll most likely do the layer feed [​IMG]

8. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    Anyway, even tho I'm feeding Layena pellets, I still offer oyster shell, free choice. They freerange and they know what they need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by