rooster's eye

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tongacat, Jun 17, 2011.

1. tongacat

tongacat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    So one of my rooster's eye won't open. He is about 4-7 weeks old. He's a healthy rooster, just beginning to molt, he eats, drinks, and poops healthy.
    Yesterday, I went to go check on them before i went to sleep. they were all cuddled up sleeping. But today, in the morning, one of his eyes won't open... I don't know if he lost an eye, or what. Should I be worried? or should i leave it alone???? PLEASE HELP [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. cochin gal

cochin gal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2007
    I would defiantly take a look to see if he has an injury. I know how hard it is to pry open a chickens eye but it should be looked at.

3. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    You need to check his eye to see what is going on.
    Look to see if it is crusted or draining or swollen on the outside?
    Carefully open the eyelid to see if there is a scratch or cut on the eye?

Gently wash the eye with saline solution. Let dry
    If signs or scratch, drainage, or swollen, then get antibiotic eye ointment at your local feed store and use it.

GL and Best Wishes,
    Laura

4. tongacat

tongacat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    thanks guys, but it doesn't seem to have all of the conditions that you have named. the eye lid seems perfectly fine, as if it is sleeping, no crusting, scars, etc. but when i tried to gently open it, he wouldn't let me

5. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    my suggestion is to get someone to help you....Wrap the little one in a towel , and foot ball hold him....then brace the head with thumb and forefinger while the other uses 2 fingertips to open eye...Most likely it is scratched or something s in it that needs to be flushes out, or it will cause infection later....

Best wishes,
    Laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by