roosters eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kae Pasa, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Kae Pasa

Kae Pasa Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    i have a rooster that runs lose in the yard, one of my moms roosters got out and they got in a fight. my rooster lost a spur and one of his eyes was closed for a few days. the eye is now open, but itswhite. the whiteish look has gone away some and is down to mostly a line through the middle. the black dot in it is also not a dot anymore. he cant see through it. my question is will he ever be able to see through it again? and can he stay in the yard or do i need to put him in a pen? he is still in the yard but sits around alot and stays near the other chickens in their opens. thanks for the help.

2. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    [​IMG]

Does your roo's eye look like Rhode Island Rhett's eye? (This was taken 1 week after a vicious raven attack on the day before Xmas eve.) Can you take a closeup photo?

Chickens do heal amazingly quickly from injuries. Rhett's pupil is still even now oblong (sideways) and eventually the inner eyelid (where his worst injury was) is now not seen anymore. We still think he is somewhat blinded in his damaged eye, but as of the last few days, we think he is seeing something now, possibly shadows, as he seems to be responding to stimuli on that side, finally. He will probably always have impaired vision in that eye however. Maybe someone who knows more about eye injuries will weigh in.

3. Kae Pasa

Kae Pasa Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

heres his eye

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by