Rooster's Feathered feet look bad!

khind

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 16, 2014
Norman, OK, USA
Hello, I have a rooster who's about 2 years old. He's always looked and behaved as if he's in good health. But I'd read that feather-footed chickens can be prone to health issues, like infections, and his feet have sometimes looked really weird - not smooth like the hens' feet, but bumpy here or there, and sometimes with a redness where a feather (only 1 or maybe 2, not many) should have erupted or did erupt. I've noticed this a couple times, sometimes after lots of rain like we've had in OK this summer, but then his feet would look much better, and some feathers would emerge. However, now I wonder whether he's got scaly leg mites. His scales, which are naturally wider across than my hens' scales, have been raised and not flush against the tops of his feet like theirs, for a long time (yet their feet have never changed appearance, which is why I also thought maybe this too was genetic or something, since scaly leg mites would be passed along to them too...). Does anyone have experience with feathered feet and issues like these? Also, if he does have scaly leg mites, I'd treat them with gasoline (controversial, I know, but it would also work very quickly, and is advocated on at least 2 Vet University sites); but if he does have a sore which is open, I'm sure that would hurt him. Any ideas about that? Thank you very much.

Well, without a photo its hard to say whether its leg mites. It wont hurt to treat him for it anyway. Ive heard of dipping feet and legs in gasoline then slathering them with A and D ointment. Or soak his feet and legs in Epsom salt water, using an old toothbrush on him. And then dip feet and legs in oil, any kind, then I would use 2tbls yellow sulfer powder mixed with 1/2 c Vaseline.

Well, without a photo its hard to say whether its leg mites. It wont hurt to treat him for it anyway. Ive heard of dipping feet and legs in gasoline then slathering them with A and D ointment. Or soak his feet and legs in Epsom salt water, using an old toothbrush on him. And then dip feet and legs in oil, any kind, then I would use 2tbls yellow sulfer powder mixed with 1/2 c Vaseline.
Thank you, and I can supply pics by tomorrow, I think, But after just looking in the articles on this forum, what is being called Scaly Leg Mites are scales less raised than my rooster's, so I agree - I'll treat him for that.
I still think there may be another issue with him, however. In fact, he started to look like he was molting a week or two ago, but the hens have not lost any feathers.
I checked them all for lice and mites over a month ago (I treated them and the coop last year with Elector PSP) and they all looked clean. But I'll have to check again.

From 23 Sept. Bad view, I know, because it's from behind. But here, I thought his legs looked pretty good except for the raised scales you can see on his right foot. I'll dig for more pics.

Attachments

• 20170923_195922.jpg
    20170923_195922.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
As to the other issues you notice I often wonder the same with my feather footed birds.

I notice with wet weather their feet get funny. I give their feet an Epsom salt soak and light scub then make sure they are dry.

Their feet and leg feathers have a tendency to break. As long as it's not a pin feather that bleeds they don't seem to notice. Again I check their feet and help keep them clean.

Back
Top Bottom