Roosters feathers are strarting to go gray

coocoochick

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
Does anyone know why my chickens feathers are starting to lose their color? I'm thinking it might be his diet, but I don't know what he is missing to fix the problem. I buy country acres feed and chicken scratch along with oyster shells. They stay cooped up except the weekends. What am I missing?

maby ur chicken is old just like humans hair chicken feathers also turn grey he is porbaly 10 years old or 8 or 15 or some get grey feathers at 6 years old chickens can live up to 15 years if ur rooster super healthy maby 20years

Does anyone know why my chickens feathers are starting to lose their color? I'm thinking it might be his diet, but I don't know what he is missing to fix the problem. I buy country acres feed and chicken scratch along with oyster shells. They stay cooped up except the weekends. What am I missing?
dont know.Never had one turn grey unless it was born grey.. lol!

my bared rock hens must have been to the beauty parlor because their feathers are curled like a perm.

lau.gif

Its the oddest thing. They are starting to turn gray near the roots and its a hit or miss. Not all of his feathers are doing it. I did forget to say that I've had him sine he hatched last spring.

I know why yours have curled. Somewhere in there family tree is a frizzle. When a bird mates with a frizzle it stays in the blood line and can be passed from generation to generation.

I've had one or two chickens over the years that came out looking TOTALLY different after their first moult. Like you could see one color of feather coming out and the new ones were completely different. Never had a roo do that, but is he a hatchery chicken? When they have 100s of thousands of chicks, I think there's always room to get one that's "off." Not a scientific opinion, just my experience in the last few years with my flock of 150.

Back
Top Bottom